Thursday, October 6, 2011

Vegan MoFo #6: Black Bean Chilaquiles


Whew! I’m having a great time looking at all the MoFo posts! I feel like I can’t keep up though. So much to see! Maybe if I took the time to figure out the whole RSS feed doohickey I might do better. As it is, I’ve been trying to get in a letter of the alphabet each day on the MoFo blogroll. Been seeing lots of good stuff out there!  I heart finding new vegan blogs!

This is a food that doesn’t photograph all that well but I swear it is tasty. This chilaquiles uses tortilla chips instead of the traditional day-old tortillas. It’s a great way to use all those little chippies and crumblies in the bottom of all those chip bags that tend to accumulate in the cupboard (or is that just me)?


Black Bean Chilaquiles

Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

Ingredients:

2 cups roughly crushed tortilla chips, divided

1 tsp vegetable oil

1 medium onion, diced

15 oz can black beans, drained

15 oz can diced tomatoes, or 1 ½ cups chopped fresh tomatoes

1 ½ cups frozen or fresh corn

2 tbls lime juice

1 large avocado, sliced

Salt and pepper to taste

2 cups salsa of choice, divided (I like Pace Picante for this)

4-6 ounces Daiya Pepperjack Cheese


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F

Lightly spray a 9 inch square baking dish. Spread 1 cup crushed tortilla chips evenly on the bottom.

In a medium saucepan, sauté onions in oil until softened. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, ½ cup salsa, and lime juice and simmer for about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Pour bean mixture evenly over chips in baking dish. Place sliced avocado in an even layer on top of the beans. Pour ¾ cup salsa on top and spread evenly. Next sprinkle the rest of the tortilla chips. Spread the remaining ¾ cup salsa on top of chips. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 40 minutes.



5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Chilaquiles before, but this looks really delicious! I haven't tried Daiya before either. How is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE chilequiles! And with black beans? Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! Chilaquiles is a real favorite of mine and something I haven't tried since going vegan. This recipe looks nice and easy (the say I like a recipe) and I will most certainly try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great recipe; you aren't alone in trying to find ways to use the little chips and crumbs--I'm always thinking of new recipes that will use them, and this definitely seems like one to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments on which books you like!

    I've never heard of chilaquiles before but yours look delicious and I will definitely be trying it out.

    ReplyDelete