Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Vegan MoFo #17: Soup & Salad


A common dinner combo in my house is soup and salad. The salad is eaten first and it is usually a big one. Then I follow it with a vegetable soup of some sort that uses what veggies are in season. It’s a great way to get a lot of healthy veggies in one meal!
The salad is a mix of green and red lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, corn, and BBQ Tempeh. The BBQ Tempeh goes really well with this salad. It would also be good on sandwiches or in a wrap. It’s easy to prepare too:

Ingredients: 8 oz tempeh, cubed & 2/3 cup BBQ sauce

Directions: Toss tempeh with BBQ sauce and bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes, stirring once half way through. If you like it saucy, add a little more BBQ sauce after it is done baking. That’s it!
The soup is a favorite around here: the Pureed Spicy Sweet Potato & Peanut Stew from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan by Dreena Burton.  This soup is just plain wonderful. The flavors of the sweet potato, peanut butter, and red pepper flakes really go well together. I don’t know about you, but I LOVE food that is both sweet and spicy. This soup fits the bill nicely.  I didn’t change much about the recipe, but I did leave the chickpeas out since I already had a protein in the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment