Sunday, October 16, 2011

Vegan MoFo #15: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies



Okay. So since I went vegan a year ago I have been trying to create the perfect vegan chocolate chip cookie. One that tastes exactly like the buttery ones of yore. My main problem is that I don’t care for the taste of Earth Balance in cookies. GASP! It just doesn’t taste like butter. Sorry to be like that but it’s true. So I’ve tried a lot of recipes with different fats. I like using canola okay but it didn’t brown like I wanted and it didn’t impart a lot of flavor. I tried all kinds of flour/sugar/fat ratios. (You’ve probably realized by now that I am being really picky about this!)

So after many good but not great attempts, I finally decided to try part Earth Balance and part shortening. Because all EB would taste too much like, well, EB, and all shortening would be too neutral. But together? I thought it just might work. I won’t say I’ve reached vegan chocolate chip cookie nirvana just yet, but these are pretty darn close.


Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

¼ cup vegan margarine, room temp

¼ cup non-hydrogenated shortening, room temp

½ cup brown sugar

¼ cup white sugar

¼ cup soy milk

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup + 3 tbls white flour

½ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

With an electric mixer, cream together the margarine, shortening and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add soy milk and vanilla and mix. Add flour, baking soda, and salt and beat on low until fully mixed. Mix in chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes.  Let cool for a few minutes and then move to cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment