Friday, November 4, 2011

Enjoying food again + Pumpkin Loaf


Perhaps you have noticed that I have been M.I.A the last few days. The thing is that I got a nasty cold and that means I really didn’t care about food. Not cooking it, and not eating it. There’s nothing like a cold to make you completely apathetic to even your favorite past time. Not that eating is my favorite past time . . . .well, ok, maybe it is.

Also, I always feel like a bit of a failure when I get sick. I’m a pretty healthy vegan who eats a TON of fruits and vegetables. Shouldn’t I have a more kick-ass immune system? Apparently not. My resistance does not seem to have changed much since trading in burgers and fries for tofu and kale. Oh well. At least I feel a million times better in the day to day. Small comfort when hacking up a lung though.

Enough whining! I think I’ve done that enough over the past week.

This is the first thing I made in the last week just for the pleasure of eating. And it’s damn good stuff. Sure there’s nothing terribly revolutionary about a pumpkin loaf, but I swear this one is extra good and moist. Hope you give it a go.

Pumpkin Loaf

Ingredients:
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
¾ cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup soy yogurt
1 flax egg (3 tbls warm water + 1 tbls ground flax)
¼ cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup white flour
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
¾ tsp ground ginger
Pinch of nutmeg
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix sugars, pumpkin, soy yogurt, flax egg, oil, and vanilla extract with a fork. Add flours, spices, baking soda, and salt and mix until no white steaks remain. Some clumps are okay.

Lightly oil a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and pour batter in pan. Bake for about 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove loaf onto a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment