Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Creamy Sweet Potato Peanut Stew + Cornbread


This delicious stew is from Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero.  This stew is made up of potatoes, onions, bell peppers, spices, peanut butter, and tomatoes. I changed it up a bit by using sweet potatoes instead of potatoes. It’s what I had on hand and I think they go great with peanut butter! I also used the optional chickpeas instead of TVP. Lastly, I partially pureed the soup before adding the chickpeas to make it extra creamy. I thought this had a wonderful flavor. Next time I might add a bit of cayenne for a bit of heat.

On the side I made a vegan cornbread. I had a bit of canned pumpkin left in the fridge so I used that in place of an egg. You really can’t detect a pumpkin flavor but it makes the bread wonderfully moist.  You could sub apple sauce or a flax egg if you don’t happen to have extra pumpkin around.

Vegan Cornbread

Ingredients:
½ cup white flour
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup soy milk
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup canned pumpkin

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients with a fork. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet. Stir until just combined. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment