Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Vegan German Chocolate Cake


It was my birthday yesterday! So I made myself a vegan version of my favorite cake – German Chocolate Cake! (BTW, my second favorite is Carrot Cake).  I had a lovely birthday weekend as well, which I will be posting about in the next few days. But on to the cake! What could be better than a moist, chocolate cake covered in toasty coconut and pecans? I can’t think of anything. The cake portion I got from allrecipes HERE. The changes I made were to double the recipe and bake in two 9 inch round pans for 35 minutes. I also reduced the salt a tad, to about ¾ tsp for a double recipe.  And the best part is below: The Frosting!

Coconut Pecan Frosting
Makes enough for a 2 layer 9 inch round cake

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups sweetened coconut
1 ½ cups pecans, chopped
¾ cup sugar (I used brown sugar)
12 tbsp vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
¾ cup non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Spread coconut and pecans on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Stir, then bake for 5 minutes more.

In a large saucepan, melt sugar and margarine on medium-high heat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until frosting is very thick and sticky. You should not see any liquid at the bottom of the pan.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes or so, then frost cake while frosting is still somewhat warm.

6 comments:

  1. This is really a healthy dessert recipe. The homemade vegan chocolate frosting used , is simple, quick, and absolutely delicious. This can also be a prefect treats to gift to colleagues, friends, or family. Thanks a lot.

    Chocolate Dessert Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to have a piece of this cake, and it was fabulous! The chocolate cake was so good it didn't need frosting; the frosting made me want to eat a whole bowl of it w/ a spoon. I'm dreaming about it now...thanks, Jenn! Helga

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it Helga! Your comment about the frosting gave me an idea to make ice cream with it sometime in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh I love the look of that German Chocolate Cake. Mom and Granny will be very delighted if I made them this cake.

    ReplyDelete