Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mini Break Weekend: Monterey

 
Last weekend the BF took me to Monterey for my birthday. It was just lovely! The weather could not have been nicer – high 60’s and sunny. Nice! We stayed in a beautiful B&B called Old St Angela Inn. I was really happy with this hotel! It was located a block from the ocean and about ½ mile walk (along the coast) from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The rooms were very charming and we had an ocean view. I was even able to fill up on vegan fare at their breakfast buffet even though I did not make a special request. Sweet!

Old St. Angela Inn

The first day we walked around on the coastal trail. It was a beautiful day.
We also drove out to Carmel to Gallery 21, a gallery dedicated to the work of Eyvind Earle. I absolutely adore his work and had not had the pleasure of seeing any of his paintings in person. I hope to one day buy one of these prints for my own home!
Gallery 21
On Sunday we walked over to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and spent most of the day there.  I hadn’t been to the aquarium in several years so I was excited to be there again! My favorite part is the jellyfish, but we also saw sea otters, penguins, and a new seahorse exhibit.






After a long day at the aquarium, we stopped for dinner at Tillie Gort’s Café. This is a very vegetarian friendly restaurant and they even have vegan baked goods! I had the tofu scramble, which had tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions. This was served with black beans and brown rice. I also added some tortillas and salsa on the side (I was very hungry). The food was amazing - this was one of the better tofu scrambles I have had. For dessert we had vegan carrot cake! Since this is one of my favorite cakes I was stoked that it was one of the options. They also had a vegan chocolate cake.

 
All in all it was a terrific trip!












No comments:

Post a Comment