Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pumpkin-Corn Enchiladas + BBQ Tempeh Salad


Brrrr! It’s cold today, and finally finally raining. While a big cold salad may not seem that appealing in the winter, it’s what I eat a lot of this time of year. But I usually serve it with a hot bowl of soup so I think it evens out. This time I did something a little different.

Before I get to these rolls of deliciousness: the salad. This is one of my favorite salad combos. It is BBQ tempeh (homemade), red onions, avocado, and corn. During summer I will sub tomatoes for the avocado.

These enchiladas are kind of on the light side so I thought they would be good companion to the salad.  They are also incredibly easy to make so they are perfect for a quick weeknight dinner! The original recipe calls for topping with cheese, but I honestly don’t think they need it. If cheeseless enchiladas are good enough for Isa, then they’re good enough for me! (She has a fantastic potato-kale enchilada in Veganomicon.) But if you don’t share my take-it-or-leave-it attitude towards cheese, feel free to smother these babies!

Pumpkin-Corn Enchiladas
Adapted from This Can’t Be Vegan

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
15 oz can pumpkin puree
8 oz frozen corn (no need to defrost)
½ cup pecans, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
12 corn tortillas
1 ½ cups salsa verde

Directions:
In a small skillet, sauté onions and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes, or until softened.

In a large bowl, combine onion/garlic mixture with all other ingredients except tortillas and salsa verde.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Briefly heat tortillas in microwave to make them more pliable.

Roll at least ¼ cup filling into each tortilla. Get as much filling as you can in there; you may have leftovers if you don’t really stuff them. Place in baking dish. Once all enchiladas are assembled, pour salsa evenly over the top.

Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes.

It's a Cinder enchilada!

7 comments:

  1. Pumpkin-corn enchiladas sound amazing, Jenn! I'm not much of a cook, but I may have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,
    These are super easy! Let me know if you give them a try . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Cinder enchilada looks pretty tasty! Do you deliver?

    Helga

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the enchiladas today, and they were very good. Thanks for the recipe, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helga,
    The Cinder enchiladas are available for pick-up only. Except they don't like to be picked up. What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a yummy meal! I need to make enchiladas. I love that yours have pumpkin and corn.

    ReplyDelete