Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Christmas Flashback


As I said in my post the other day, I have quite a lot of post materials accumulated from my time off. The above is the Christmas dinner that I made for my family. I was really happy with how everything turned out!
The lasagna is the Ultimate Vegan Lasagna from a new-to-me blog, With a Side of Sneakers, which I found via FoodGawker. I was originally planning to make the lasagna from Veganomicon, but when I saw this I knew I had to give it a try. What is unique about this recipe is that the non-dairy ricotta is made from blended white beans and cashews instead of tofu. Pure genius and, it turns out, super tasty. This also makes the dish very rich and filling.

On the side I also served some artichoke stuffed mushrooms. I put together a quick filling that was a combo of chopped and sautéed onions, artichokes, and garlic, mixed with some bread crumbs and fresh basil. Then I baked the stuffed mushrooms at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
Thirdly, I made the Garlic Bread from Vegan Table. This stuff was awesome. I ended up making it again a few days later because I wanted more (and more, and more)!

Lastly (and barely discernable in the left corner), I made a salad with baby spinach, dried cranberries, and toasted walnuts, served with a homemade dressing made of equal parts fresh mandarin juice and walnut oil, with a bit of mandarin zest, shallot, and salt and pepper. Easy peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment