Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mexican Chocolate Brownies

A few days ago I made some fantastic brownies but I forgot to take a picture of them. For some reason I feel like it is necessary to have a picture, but is that really true? I mean, you probably know what a brownie looks like. So just imagine a moist and fudgy brownie with a crackly top while you read on!

I decided to forgo the picture requirement because I was so pleased with how these came out and I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to post about them. At first bite, these brownies are just what they should be: incredibly moist and fudgy with a chewy edge. But then you notice your mouth starts to warm and you experience a wonderful tingling warm sensation. If it were hot out, you might even sweat a little. But it’s the dark days of winter and this is exactly what you needed. Something to dispel the cold from the inside. That is what Mexican chocolate can do for you.

You will notice there is quite a bit of cayenne in these bad boys but I don’t think it’s overwhelming. I have a medium tolerance to spicy and I think these are perfect. In fact these don’t taste spicy, they are more of a sensation, as I described above. Pure pleasure!

Mexican Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients:
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
6 tbsp water
½ cup Coconut Earth Balance (or other vegan margarine)
3 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used Dagoba 73%)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup white flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne
½ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
½ cup non-dairy chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a small bowl, combine ground flax seeds and water. Set aside.

In a large bowl, add margarine and chocolate. Microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted. Add sugar, vanilla, and flax seed mixture and mix well.

Sift in remaining dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Line a 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment and lightly grease. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out with crumbs (not wet batter). Do not over bake unless you prefer cakey brownies!

Cutting tip: Let brownies cool completely, then place in freezer for about 30 minutes before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment