Sunday, November 25, 2012

T is for a Traditional Thanksgiving



Hi there. Long time no talk! Just wanted to come back from a long hiatus to show off our Thanksgiving dinner. For the past several years I have done more experimental stuff but this year I really wanted to return to the traditional foods I remember from my pre-veg days. So everything above is the usual awesome fare, with one obvious exception. There was mashed potatoes, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, green beans almondine, and to top it all off, mushroom gravy. And for the main dish, something new to me, the Seitan Roast Stuffed with Shiitakes and Leeks from Post Punk Kitchen. Holy turkey that roast was great. The seitan had the perfect chewy texture plus how can you go wrong with a mushroom and leek filling? It may have to become the new family tradition. What made it even more wonderful is that half the meal was made by my BF’s mom. She was kind enough to veganize some of her traditional recipes so that everyone could enjoy them. And enjoy them we did. Everything was delicious!
 

Time to sign out and enjoy the last few hours of the long holiday weekend. I’ve got a few future posts planned so hopefully (no promises) I can get back into the habit of regular posting.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn, Thank you for the kind words! And yes, it was all wonderful. I'm more than ready to sit down to this meal again. Like today. I loved the flavor and texture of the roast and mmmm, the mushroom gravy. Everything went together very well; we should collaborate again! Love, Helga

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did a great job! Eric and I both wished there was a lot more leftovers so we could keep enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete